We have the 10 commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai. They play a fundamental role in Judaism, provide an influence to Christianity and form part of the ethics in Islam. The commandments give us clear guidelines on ethics and worship.
- I am the LORD your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
- Remember to keep holy the LORD'S Day.
- Honour your father and your mother.
- You shall not kill.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
- You shall not covet your neighbour's wife.
- You shall not covet your neighbour's goods.
(Exodus20:1-17 & Deuteronomy 5:4-21)
Catechism of the Catholic Church[Covet = wrongful desire or wish for]
- Worship only God
- Be kind, honourable and humble to one's parents
- Be neither miserly nor wasteful in one's expenditure
- Do not engage in 'mercy killings' for fear of starvation
- Do not commit adultery
- Do not kill unjustly
- Care for orphaned children
- Keep one's promises
- Be honest and fair in one's interactions
- Do not be arrogant in one's claims or beliefs
(Qu'ran: Chapter 17)Then there are the law's Jesus provided:
- The Lord our God is the one, only Lord and you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength.
- You must love your neighbour as yourself.
Above all, LOVE is more powerful and richer than any other law.
So with these in mind why do Churches send out words of HATE towards others?
It is simply that they have forgotten the simplest of laws given to us: Love God and Love thy neighbour.
Surely, these should then be the basis of all teaching and all decisions made.
So to the decisions over women bishops, gay clergy and gay marriage: I see nothing in these laws that prohibit them; infact I would say they promote them.
So let's promote the laws in an inclusive Church as we have been commanded by our God.
Lord make me know your ways